We are looking for young adults to take care of the youth during the FSY week who are a role model for living according to the principles of the gospel. If you have already applied to be an FSY counsellor: check the status of your application.
• Be a young adult member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in good standing, as evidenced by
o an endorsement from a member of your bishopric,
o being capable of serving as a peer mentor and leader to youth participants and other staff.
• Testimony of the restored gospel
• Love of and experience in working with youth
• Abide by the standards taught in the For the Strength of Youth booklet.
• Be single or married with no dependants at home
• Be a minimum of 19 years of age on 1st January of the year of the session and a maximum of 30 years of age on the first day of the session (exceptions may be made for young adults up to 35 years of age on the first day of the session, contact your session administrators for more information)
• Have at least one year of university education, one year of work experience out of school, or comparable missionary experience for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
• Pass a background check.
• Complete all mandatory training requirements which includes
o Pre Mini-FSY Online Training
o Attending whole of Mini-FSY Training
o Attending whole of weekend before FSY Training
• Be prepared to serve a full week of long hours with only a little sleep
• Exemplify the following characteristics:
o Organisation and good time management
o Leadership and good judgement
o Professional communication and interpersonal skills
o Reliability, self-motivation, problem solving skills
o Teachability, accountability, adaptability, positivity & responsibility
o Reception to and action on feedback and direction from supervisors
o Ability to work closely and well with others
• Assigned to group of 8-14 youth of the corresponding gender or as a one-to-one counsellor to youth with special needs
• Ensure the physical safety and promote the spiritual well-being of each participant attending FSY, especially the participants in the counsellor’s assigned group.
• Be a proper example of a devoted disciple of Jesus Christ
• Effectively teach and lead formal and informal discussions that are consistent with the doctrines of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
• Act as an exemplary leader, role model, and mentor for youth participants and fellow counsellors.
• Interact with, motivate, and discipline youth participants in a kind and uplifting manner.
• Work well with a co-counsellor and contribute as a team member.
• Exhibit the mental health and emotional stability necessary to safely engage with and be responsible for participants and perform duties effectively in stressful situations.
• Read and study the FSY Staff Handbook prior to first week of service and continue study throughout service.
Please open an online profile with a photo. Download and print out the application. The form needs to be signed by you and your bishop/branch president, following an interview. Upload a scanned copy of the signed form and submit the application.