Standards for Dress, Appearance, and Behavior
based on For the Strength of Youth (booklet, 2011)
Heavenly Father has given you agency, the ability to choose right from wrong and to act for yourself. Next to the bestowal of life itself, the right to direct your life is one of God’s greatest gifts to you. While here on earth, you are being proven to see if you will use your agency to show your love for God by keeping His commandments. The Holy Ghost can guide you in using your agency righteously.
When you are well groomed and modestly dressed, you invite the companionship of the Spirit and you can be a good influence on others. Never lower your standards of dress. … When you dress immodestly, you send a message that is contrary to your identity as a son or daughter of God. You also send the message that you are using your body to get attention and approval.
Immodest clothing is any clothing that is tight, sheer, or revealing in any other manner:
· Clothing must cover the shoulders
· Shirts must cover the stomach
· Not be low-cut in the front or the back
· Shirts must have sleeves that cover the shoulders
· Words and designs must not be offensive or suggestive
· No slits above the knee. No shreds, rips or holes in jeans or trousers at all.
· Extreme clothing (i.e., gothic, emo, etc.) is not appropriate
Wear appropriate shorts and skirts:
· Jeans, trousers, shorts, and skirts must be worn at the waist.
· Shorts and skirts must at least extend to the knee, even when worn with leggings or other form-fitting trousers (also during sport activities). Leggings cannot be worn instead of jeans or trousers.
Be neat and clean and avoid being extreme or inappropriately casual in clothing, hairstyle, and behavior:
· Clean shaven - no facial hair of any kind; sideburns must not go below the ear lobes or onto the cheek
· Modest Hair Style
o No unnatural hair colors
o No carvings or mohawks
o Young Men
§ Hair must be trimmed above the collar
§ Ears and eyes must be visible
§ No ponytails, pigtails, braids, man buns, or top knots
§ Tucking the hair behind the ears or hiding it under a hat does not meet the expectations
o Footwear should be appropriate for the activity
o Beach or athletic footwear is not appropriate Sunday attire
o Footwear should be worn at all times in public areas of the campus
· Hats or bandanas are not to be worn indoors
Do not disfigure yourself with tattoos or body piercings:
· Do not display piercings or tattoos of any kind
· Young women, if you desire to have your ears pierced, wear only one pair of earrings
Casual and Sunday Dress:
· Appropriate casual dress includes jeans, trousers, T-shirts, athletic shoes, and flip-flops
· Appropriate Sunday dress for …
o Young Men includes a white collared dress shirt that buttons down the front (shirttails should always be tucked in), a conservative tie, and trousers with dress shoes. Footwear must not be beachwear or athletic, but appropriate for Sunday
o Young Women includes dresses, skirts and blouses, and appropriate footwear (beach or athletic footwear is not appropriate Sunday attire)
Avoid extreme or inappropriate behavior:
The Big Five – Involvement in any of the following Big Five will result in being sent home immediately:
1. Participating in or encouraging immoral behavior of any kind, including breaking the law of chastity or viewing pornography in any form
2. Shoplifting, theft, or vandalism of any kind
3. Breaking the Word of Wisdom, including possessing illegal substances
4. Possessing weapons or firearms of any kind
5. Doing anything harmful to yourself or others, physical or spiritually
The standards described in For the Strength of Youth are a guide to help you make correct choices. Review the standards often and ask yourself, “Am I living the way the Lord wants me to live?” and “How have I been blessed by living these standards?”
Strive each day to be obedient. If you make a mistake, don’t give up on yourself. Your Heavenly Father loves you and wants you to seek His help and keep trying. Be humble and willing to listen to the Holy Ghost and respond to His promptings. Place the wisdom of the Lord above your own wisdom.
As you do these things, the Lord will make much more out of your life than you can by yourself. He will increase your opportunities, expand your vision, and strengthen you. He will give you the help you need to meet your trials and challenges. You will gain a stronger testimony and find true joy as you come to know your Father in Heaven and His Son, Jesus Christ, and feel Their love for you.
Youth leaders, please ensure the standards are met before the youth
depart to FSY.
Participants will not be allowed to check-in if they do not meet these standards.